UP IN ARMS AGAINST THE MOTU PROPRIO

Nope! It's not about the Latin – they are used to “tongues”. It's all about having to kneel!
in response to this
Rebellion Against the Pope Over the Latin Mass by Deal W. Hudson
More:
Bishop Luca Brondolini
“This is a day of mourning not only for myself but for the many persons who labored for the Second Vatican Council. This reform for which many worked at the cost of great sacrifices, and inspired only by the desire to renew the Church, is now buried. I cannot hold back my tears. This is the saddest time of my life as a man, as a priest, and as a bishop.” (La Repubblica July 8, 2007)
French bishops object - a John L. Allen article
MP and ex-parish priest Raymond Gravel
“The return of Latin is not right, that is, a Mass which is said facing a wall rather than facing the people in the church…”; “…concession to the religious ‘fundamentalist and traditionalist”; “It is meant for people who had been troubled by the change of language and by the fact that the priest started to talk to the people instead of talking to the wall,”; “For new Catholics it does not mean much, and that is why this will not go very far”; “Instead of wasting our energy on that, it would be better to improve our celebrations because at times they are really not worth much”
Bishop Dale Melczek, Gary
Fr. Richard Orlinski, Hammond
“The Mass is "less engaging"; “Whenever people start speaking Latin, then I'll be happy to hold Latin Mass,”
Cardinal Seán O'Malley
“The Motu Propio is his latest attempt at reconciliation” (with the SSPX); “I told my brother bishops that in the United States the number of people who participate in the Latin Mass even with permission is very low. The issue of the Latin Mass is not urgent in our country?? First of all, why fall into the trap of constantly referring to the Traditional Rite as the "Latin Mass"? The Novus Ordo can be a "Latin Mass" as well. "I'm already allowing it quite enough. If I need to throw another bone or two out to the dogs, I will do it. But there is no demand.” (July 18, 2007)
Bishop Raffaele Nogaro, Caserta, Italy
“to mumble in Latin serves no purpose.”
From “The Tidings”, the official paper of the Los Angeles Archdiocese – with not much good tidings for the Latin Mass. My, my, they have been busy communicating against the Latin Mass:
Fr. Peter Daly
“Apart from the schismatic followers of Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre and a few young people who are nostalgic for a church they never knew, almost nobody is pressing for it. Nobody under the age of 55 even remembers the old Latin ritual.”; “Almost nobody comes” (to the Latin Mass) Will anyone come?
Fr. Eugene Hemrick
“The word "hypocrite" means to playact, to take on the character of someone other than oneself. My prayer is that when priests new to Latin celebrate the Tridentine Mass today they not playact --- that the Latin spoken becomes a true part of them.” Tks, tsk, tsk and oh what deep seethed concern for the Latin Mass! Obviously the good reverend hasn’t been subjected to masses by foreign priests, whose so called vernacular is close to incomprehensible for the congregation. Are we 'Latinized' enough?
Fr. Richard McBrien
More mumble-mumble against the Latin Mass from the Crowley-O'Brien Professor of Theology at the University of Notre Dame
Emil A. Wcela
This is a beauty! A Dinosaur Ponders The Latin Mass
and here is Fr. Z’s response:
“I think I will leave comments closed on this one and wish His Excellency good health and long life in a happy, fruitful retirement.”
Disclaimer: The following three entries are of the Damian Thompson blog called Holy Smoke. Mr Thompson is a journalist for Telegraph.co.uk. While I don’t endorse some of his opinions, judging from the local response to his articles, they must be factual, since only his assessments are called into question. Calling for Bishop Conry’s resignation for instance is impractical at best, in that kind of world the whole lot of them would have to resign for one thing or another.
Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor
According to the cardinal, priests still needed to ask permission from their bishops to celebrate the Tridentine Mass. As he added, congregations requesting the old Mass must be "stable," though that requirement is absent from the Pope’s document. @
Bishop Arthur Roche
“The new rules won’t affect us in Leeds.” “the underlying purpose of this legislation is to restore unity within the Church and to offer those who, hitherto, have not accepted the liturgical reforms and perhaps the teaching of the Second Vatican Council a way back to full communion.” “It is clear from the Holy Father’s letter that discernment in this matter belongs to me as bishop.” @
Bishop Kieran Conry
“The Bishop of Arundel and Brighton, Kieran Conry, has written a letter in which he describes Pope Benedict XVI’s solemn apostolic letter liberating the Latin Mass as merely an “opinion” that contradicts the views of earlier Popes.”; “I would stand by all that I said, but I would reject the suggestion that [my comments] imply in any way a rejection of the Holy Father’s Petrine role and authority. But the matter is not one of doctrine or morals, and the Holy Father has expressed an opinion about the appropriateness of the so-called ‘Tridentine Rite’, in contrast, it must be pointed out, to the opinion of his predecessors, with whom, presumably, he disagrees. He has the same right.” @

Mons. Raffaele Nogaro
“Nothing is taken away, then, from the authority of the Bishop, whose role remains that of being watchful that all is done in peace and serenity. Should some problem arise which the parish priest cannot resolve, the local Ordinary will always be able to intervene, in full harmony, however, with all that has been laid down by the new norms of the Motu Proprio .” Caserta bishop prohibits traditional Mass
Bishop R. Daniel Conlon
Summorum Pontificum memo with the usual Steubenville malarkey here: in the Steubenville Register
Deacon Mark Plaiss, Michigan
“But I think it's going to fall off real quickly,” (Michigan City, July 06, 2007)

Liturgical Councils
With no need for their oh so important involvement, liturgical councils will NOT welcome the Traditional Mass. These councils were most successful in pushing their agenda on the parish they have lorded over; shaping how to conduct the Mass there. They will not welcome anything or anybody dismantling their “achievements” and making of what they do, indeed their very presence redundant. Liturgical councils will use all of their influence to block the Traditional Liturgy coming to their parishes.
Music Minister
“I play the guitar at Mass. How will I fit in with the Latin Mass? But I've played the guitar at Mass for years! Where am I supposed to go now?!”
Extraordinary Minister
“What becomes of the extraordinary ministers in this new extraordinary Mass? (sarcasm dripping) So we extraordinary ministers are excluded from Mass from now on?”
Parishioner
“No one in my family, I don't think anyone in my parish, speaks Latin. We won't know what's going on or if we're kneeling or standing or sitting. We are very upset about this change in the Mass!”
Rita Ferrone:
“A Step Backward - The Latin Mass Is Back” (Commonweal)

Finally here is Fr. Rob Johansen's summary to Amy Welborn's post titled A Necessary Conversation. Welborn asked people for their reaction to a photo of the Tridentine Mass. Father sums up the reactions being ideological rather than theological or spiritual. It's a worth read - although the original responses paint a frightfully sad picture -- demonstrating just how low we sank and how clearly Protestant we have become.
